portfolio managerChris Wain-Lowe, BA, MBA
Chief Investment Officer, Executive Vice-President and Portfolio Manager
The investment objective of Portland Global Sustainable Evergreen LP (the “Fund”) is to preserve capital and provide above average long-term returns.
The strategy intends to be focused on investments initially in the following:
- Private equities believed to be in sustainable systems including farmland.
- Private equities in renewable energy and energy efficiency.
- Other equity or debt securities, a portion of which may have provisions resulting in equity ownership of the issuer of the debt or the underlying asset if certain events occur.
how the fund is managedThe Fund initially intends to invest in:
- B units of Global Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Fund NeXt (“GEEREF NeXt”), advised by the European Investment Fund (“EIF”) and sub-advised by the European Investment Bank (“EIB”).
- Bonnefield Canadian Farmland Evergreen LP, advised by Bonnefield Financial Inc. (“Bonnefield”).
- Complementary public securities, preferred shares and debt securities and investment funds, exchange-traded funds and mutual funds which may or may not be managed by the Manager.
The Fund may borrow up to 20% of the total assets after giving effect to the borrowing.
A private equity and infrastructure fund of funds, investing in regional funds, providing equity or quasi equity primarily for energy efficiency and renewable energy projects in developing countries and economies in transition.
- CO-INVEST with the EU with downside protected by public sector capital with a 10% per annum preferred return mechanism for B unitholders.
- Provides ACCESS to specialized infrastructure funds/geographies exposed to high growth.
- Provide access to renewable and affordable energy to underserved communities in emerging nations.
- Institutional quality oversight and governance by the EIB and EIF.
Bonnefield Canadian Farmland Evergreen LP
Investments in high-quality “core” farmland primarily through non-leveraged sale-leasebacks with progressive farmers primarily in Saskatchewan and Manitoba.
- ACCESS to a diversified portfolio of high-quality crop-growing farmland across Canada’s farming regions with differing agricultural characteristics and crops via multiple tenants.
- Bonnefield received an “A” ranking from the United Nations-supported Principles for Responsible Investment whose goal is to understand the implications of sustainability for investors, including incorporating ESG issues and support those who incorporate these issues into their investment decision making and ownership practices.
- Targeting ~ 8% – 12% return per annum.
- Oversight through the Standards of Care program, a leading set of industry best practices in the Canadian agricultural sector.
- Similar attributes to a real return bond, by way of providing a hedge against inflation and global water shortage given Canada’s abundance of water.